Amid all the talk of trading Rudy Gay, I figured it’d be good t hear from someone in the Grizzlies organization . . . even if it is a little outdated. This footage was recorded at Media Day, October 1, 2012. In truth, it wasn’t that long ago. But a lot has happened since then:
- The Grizzlies went 4-4 in preseason (uh oh . . .)
- Justin Timberlake, The Mannings, Penny Hardaway & Harold Ford Jr. signed on as part owners.
- The NBA approved the sale of the team to Robert Pera.
- Pera hires Jason Levien as CEO
- The Grizzlies stormed out of the gate at 12-2 to start the season (We’re goin’ to the FINALS!)
- Levien hires former ESPN stats guru John Hollinger as VP of Basketball Operations & Stu Lash as Director of Player Personnel.
- Grizzlies fall back to earth with a .500 December (Time to blow up the team!)
Anyway, regardless of what Chris Wallace’s future is in Memphis (for the record, I think he should stay), it’s still informative to find out how a GM thinks about shaking up a team, and specifically his preseason thoughts on Rudy Gay.