The Grizzlies and Mavericks both clinched their playoff berths with their last wins, but that didn’t matter tonight. Neither team wanted a first round matchup against the Spurs, who hold a combined 17-0 record over both teams’ last 17 games, in spite of what players and coaches would admit on record.
Everyone knew what was at stake tonight. Fortunately for the Grizzlies, all that began well ended well. Just take a moment right now to rejoice and revel in what the Grizzlies accomplished this season. Since being 10-15, the Grizzlies finished the season 40-17 (.701 win %) to have their first consecutive 50+ win seasons in franchise history. That is amazing. Not San Antonio Spurs amazing, but still amazing. Only 2 other teams in the league had a better win % during that stretch, the Spurs (.732) & Clippers (.709).
Now the Grizzlies prepare to face the Oklahoma City Thunder who hold a 8-7 regular season edge over the Grizzlies since the 2010-2011 season, however with last year’s 4-1 series win, the Grizzlies hold a 7-5 playoff series edge. 2 teams that know each other well, and matchup well too. The Grizzlies will start off on the road in OKC Saturday night at 8:30PM on ESPN. Of note too, the Grizzlies went 4-1 this season on ESPN with the only loss being the game vs San Antonio where Gasol went down.
However, enough about the future, let’s dive into the post-game stats:
110.7- Dallas’ ORtg, the only team the Grizzlies played 4 times & gave up a 110 or better ORtg in each game
110.4- Grizzlies ORtg, the first game the Grizzlies lost in NetRtg but won the game
93.52- PACE of the 4th quarter
75.4- Grizzlies 4th quarter ORtg
87.4- Grizzlies 4th quarter DRtg
87.36- PACE in Overtime
141.3- Grizzlies ORtg in overtime
133.3- Grizzlies DRtg in overtime
47- double doubles for ZBO on the season, two more than last season. Tying him with Dwight Howard for 4th most double doubles in the league this season.
14- Home win streak set tonight, the most in franchise history. Who would have thought this when the Grizzlies were 13-14? Ended the season 27-14 in the Grindhouse.
8.4- Average net +/- for the Grizzlies starters
-7.8- Average net +/- for the Mavs starters
16,718- Average attendance for the year, the second highest since the inaugural FedexForum season. 92.3% full, ranks 17th in league
1) THE GRIZZLIES ARE THE 7 SEED IN THE WESTERN CONFERENCE WITH 50 WINS ON THE SEASON!!! Ok, sorry. I just had to put that out there. This is a fan blog, so I reserve the right to act as a fan at times, and right now is one of those times.
2) Zach Randolph is a beast. He now gets to face Kendrick Perkins in a best of 7 series again. We all love this. The catch will be to see how Scott Brooks plays ZBO. Spurs have the recipe. Will Brooks change his ways, or will ZBO abuse Perk?
3) Dirk Nowitzki is amazing. He is so dang good. Watching him play basketball is one of the best things I have ever experienced, sports related. Deserves every bit of praise he receives, and probably even more.
4) Courtney Lee & Mike Miller combined for 4-15 tonight and the Grizzlies still won. That’s great! See the silver linig in things you guys! Channel your inner Beno.
— Beno Udrih (@BenoUdrih1) April 17, 2014
5) Marc Gasol and Mike Conley are injured. They’re banged up. Mike’s hamstring locked up on him and is giving him fits and Marc injured his ankle tonight and is hurting too. Not a surprise nor a secret, but their health & ability to play big minutes is key to any series.
6) Tony Allen- trick or treat- but makes winning plays.
Follow me on Twitter to keep up with everything throughout the playoffs!
Best part of that Joerger press conference was "Well it depends on what OKC does….if we can slow it down & uhhh get in the mud as Zach says"
— Zach Thomas (@zacharytthomas) April 17, 2014